Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Snow

I took a trip to Tahoe during winter vacation. My family owns a cabin in South Lake Tahoe. Our street is located in a very unique place. Our house backs up to thousands of acres of National Forest Land. Desolation Wilderness is about a mile to the left of our house and we have lakes in the surrounding area, small and large. You can walk for miles and be out in the middle of nowhere for days.





This is the view and part of the hundreds of acres of national forest land in our backyard. This is Mt. Tallac.







This was the first opportunity that I had to take the Xsi up to the mountains. Since I recently got the olympus I was using a point and shoot camera for years. I took around 3-4 thousand photos in a week vacation. I was able to travel a lot of places by snowshoe or skiing. there wasn't a ton of snow but about a couple feet so it was easier to get places. The only problem for shooting, it was cloudy everyday because it was snowing almost constantly. I got some pretty good shots though.






Before we got over the mountains and into Tahoe we stopped a couple of times. We first stopped at Lake Natoma outside of Sacraemento. The only reason we know about is because I used to row with Oakland Strokes and a majority of our races were at the same lake. There are all sorts of paths and docks that go up the lake and have some excellent picture opportunities. When we got past Placerville we started to climb up the hill. We take Hwy 50 into Tahoe because it shoots you right out to where our cabin is. Anyways we stopped at a couple locations, along the banks of the American River, and Bridal Veil Falls.



This is one of the trails that go along the banks of Lake Natoma.






Some berries I found at Lake Natoma, it had just rained.





A huge steel girder sitting on the side of the American River. It has been there for years.





When we stopped at those two locations it was dark enough that I was able to get the water to look really smooth with a longer exposure, about 1/20 f5.6. I have always thought these kind of shots look absolutly amazing. Its an unreal effect.

















I took this shot when I was sitting in the middle of the river, I tried many times to get the shot because it was so dark and I had the shutter speed at 1/5 f5.6 but it was also at 100 iso making it harder.








Bridal Veil Falls

Right after the river we started climbing up Echo Summit. I got these shots before we went up and over the mountain.



The fog that day was amazing, it was covering everything like a blanket. We got there jsut as it was breaking up.


This is looking down from higher up on Echo Summit. It is basically looking down to where I took the picture thats above this one.



On Tuesday I was able to make it up to Heavenly ski resort for the day. The snow was relatively nice and there was powder everywhere from the night before. It was freezing cold when I got to the top, around 10 degrees. It was sooo cold that they were making snow all day which was a sight to see, never seen them actually making it before. The really cool thing about Heavenly is that it is the tallest ski resort in Tahoe, around 10,000 feet. The other incredibly unique part of the resort is that it covers two states, California and Nevada. You are able to see all of Tahoe and if you just go over the hill you have a beautiful view of the valley and Carson City in Nevada.



This the view from the top of Heavenly. In the picture is Mt. Tallac plus most of the whole mountain range and most of the National Forest land behind my house.













This is an extension tho the picture above. The lake, West Tahoe, the Tahoe Keys housing area and some of Heavenly at the bottom of the shot.

I took these two the last day that we were there. My brother and I walked out on a dock in Camp Richardson which is a couple miles from our house.

This was the only sailboat anchored on the whole South Side of the lake. Pretty amazing to see only one boat....

During the winter all of the boats that are usually anchored up in the lake get taken out and wrapped with this plastic protection. They all get stored right next to the lake in this big area with racks for jetskis and then they just line the boats up in the middle like this.

I know its a lot of pictures but I couldn't choose just 1 or 2. I took a total of 4,136 pictures while I was up there. It was a really fun trip.

-Kellan

1 comment:

  1. Some of your best work I've seen. Your Bridalveil falls shot is my favorite. You have a good eye for landscapes.

    ReplyDelete