Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fire Arts

Soooooo many pictures to go through. So I just took a trip to Washington D.C. and am still sorting through the thousands of pictures I took. I will start with some stuff that I took before my vacation.

So, I am really into fire arts and fire dancing. I have even performed a few times in front of large audiences. Some of the stuff I do is...... staff, poi, devil sticks, and fire breathing. For this post I have some pictures of staff, fire breathing, and poi. All three of these are the most popular and well known. Some of the shots are just standing still and some are with the movements and spinning the fire.

The spinning and movent shots I have done before. You just set the exposure for a couple of seconds and the flame trails just fill the whole screen. Thats the easy part, and I have been doing those shots for a couple of years. Here are some from the past and present. Charlie, my friend, has been spinning fire with me for a few years.

One of the more recent ones. A shorter exposure making look darker. This is my friend Charlie.


Charlie spinning again. A longer exposure, a little brighter than before.


Here are some shots of something new I tried. Since I have a few studio lights, I set one up outside with just a modeling light setup, no flash. I was trying to light up just the person with out seeing the background. Usually you cant see the person when they are fire spinning, all you can see are just the flames. For the first time trying it, I think they turned out rather well.

First shot we did with the studio light trying to just light up the subject. Charlie is spinning for these two.

A little later, more of a flame but the subject is still a tad blurry.

After getting used to the lighting we tried a few a little darker. You can still see the background a little. This is me for these two. Charlie took both of these shots with me in them. Thank You!

Well this is one of the last ones that we did, the background was almost completely blacked out, but I reached my goal with all of the ratios of shutter speed and what not.



Also here are some really cool shots of Charlie kicking a can of gas. We managed to light half of the garage on fire, and some of my lawn in the backyard.


Thats all for this post. I have a couple more posts that will be coming really soon, they are about horse jumping and Washington D.C., two things that I have never shot before. Any comments or suggestions on this post would be great!


-Kellan

No comments:

Post a Comment