Friday, April 2, 2010

Big Basin Redwoods State Park

This past weekend I went camping at Big Basin. It is a huge redwood grove that spans for miles. It has waterfalls, tons of plant life, and it is just a beautiful place. This was the second time I have been there, I had gone a couple years ago but never had a camera. I had my 50D to shoot with, obviously. I had over 1000 shots but I picked the best ones.
While I was there I went on a 12 mile hike out to a group of waterfalls that just kept going, there was one after another, and they just didn't stop. I spent more time on the last one that we came to over all of the other ones because it was the biggest and was more beautiful than the others.

This was the first waterfall we came to, it was one of the smaller ones.
A small little river stream that broke off from the main river.
This is the huge waterfall that we came to last. I spent most of my time shooting here.
Just one of the sides of the big waterfall. I really like all of the ferns that grow around all of the water. They make it seem more wet and almost tropical in some ways.
There was such a diversity of plant life and habitats that it was impossible to get them all in just one day. I am putting up some of the best shots I got, I just had soooo many to choose from that I couldn't put all of them up.

This was a really cool plant with huge leaves that collect water. Since it rains so much it has huge leaves to collect water instead of drawing a lot of water from the ground.
I also tried some new stuff that I had never done before. It was Seth who inspired these shots, I remember looking at his website and thinking, hey I could try that. What he did was he had a really long exposure and then moved the camera in a spiral while its shutter was open making it look hella crazy and spirally. So I tried that but with moving up and down and side to side.

These two shots were definitely my favorite from the whole trip, I don't really know why though. All I know is that they look really cool!

Well that's it for this one, more will be coming in the near future. Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated! :)

-Kellan

1 comment:

  1. Your work of the big waterfall and the abstracts are really strong. Really good composition. The first one is a little snapshotty, but still nice. Try bringing a tripod next time and doing some slower exposures. The open shade provided by the canopy overhead should cut the light enough that you could shoot at least several second exposures with smaller apertures. Keep shooting and post more!

    ReplyDelete