Monday, March 8, 2010

Russian River

This past weekend was an epic weekend with no limits. My family along with a couple of friends took a trip up to the Russian River for a couple of days and just went all out on craziness and fun. We went up early Saturday morning and came back late Sunday. Its amazing how much you can do in 36 hours..........

One of the first things we did when we got there was we went to explore the banks of the river. We were determined to find a massive cliff to jump off into the water, and of course after about an hour of looking we found one. The only way to get to it though was to swim across the river to other side and climb up. The water was freezing, probably in the 40's. We were able to reach the other side and jump off from the highest point. It was basically like jumping into a frozen lake without the ice. That's why we only did it once.


This is the cliff we jumped off of, all the way to the right. Had to get a running start to get out to the middle of the river.


After freezing our asses off we went back, took a shower, and had a bite to eat. We stayed the night in a little cabin in the middle of a Redwood forest. Its an amazing place and the trees are massive. The crazy thing about really thick forests like the one we stayed in, is that it is dark all day long. You cant tell what time of day it is unless you go to a place where there are no trees. Its definitely very unique. I took a lot of shots in the forest but also ventured off to the river where I got some fantastic shots.


This is some of the moss that grows in the forest. Since it is somewhat on the coast, it is constantly raining or is really foggy.


When I went to the river to shoot it was around the time of dusk. The light was amazing. The river is kinda hidden by the trees so that the light goes right over the top casting light all across the banks of the river.


This is when the Sun was just going over the trees, giving everything else a golden color.




Both of these shots were much later in the evening. I was able to get the reflection in a little stream that was feeding into the river.


I spent that last few minutes of my trip at a little lake that was a mile away from the banks of the river. It wasn't very windy so I worked on some reflection shots. I was extremely intrigued with a little bridge right on the end of the lake which produced a perfect reflection. I haven't really had a major chance to work with reflection before but I think these shots turned out rather well.
I tried to get the reflection of the trees behind the water lilies, too bad there weren't any flowers on them. Turned out rather well though.
This reflection was great! Perfect placement of the bridge and the lighting was terrific.
Well that's about it for this post. Those were the best pictures out of the whole trip. I am working on getting a couple new items, battery grip and a larger picture card. I ran out of space and battery on the first day, so i had to constantly charge and upload my pictures.
Feedback would be awesome! And thank you to everybody who reads and comments, it helps me a lot with getting my name out there and improving my work.
-Kellan

1 comment:

  1. aghhh i love these
    especially the water ones, they are beautifulll :)

    ReplyDelete